Please review the following CALS Staff Evaluation Timeline for 2015. This is meant as a guide for staying on track for on-time completion of evaluations by the university deadline of October 16, 2015.
Staff hired or rehired between October 25, 2014 and July 24, 2015 must receive either a performance evaluation or a P125 (paper) probationary review during this process. The process and requirements are outlined in the state’s DHRM policy 1.40 – Performance Planning and Evaluation. Detailed instructions for navigating the online tool are available for supervisors here and for employees here.
Performance plans should have been completed at the beginning of the review cycle (fall 2014) and list the year’s goals. Performance evaluations measure an employee’s success in meeting those goals. If an employee’s performance plan was not finalized, the system will not permit you to start a performance evaluation. To prevent delays, please do not send performance plans to the reviewer; only evaluations. In the online performance management tool, completing one step is dependent upon satisfactory completion of previous steps by others. The sooner your step is completed, the more time the next person will have to complete his or her step.
- July 17: Employees to start completing self-evaluations. Employees are given the opportunity to complete a self-assessment. Employees may use the online performance management tool, the CALS Employee Self-Assessment form or email. Employees will have four weeks to complete and submit.
- August 14: Employee deadline to submit self-evaluation to supervisor
- August 14: Supervisors to begin drafting evaluations. Supervisors will have three weeks to complete and submit to Reviewers
- September 4: Supervisor deadline to complete draft evaluations and submit to Reviewer. Supervisors should start scheduling employee evaluation meetings for September 18- Oct 2.
- September 4: Reviewers to begin reviewing evaluations. Reviewers need adequate time to consider and sign evaluations in agreement. Reviewers will have 2 weeks to consider evaluations, and have necessary discussions with supervisors.
- September 18: Reviewer deadline to approve evaluations. Reviewers, please afford supervisors plenty of time for meetings with employees to review evaluations before they are due in HR. Once approved by Reviewers, evaluations must then be released in the system by Central HR. Only then will the supervisor be able to access an evaluation again. At that time, the status will be “Senior Management Approved”.
- September 18: Supervisors to begin holding evaluation meetings with employees. Once the reviews with employees are complete, supervisors must be sure to send the evaluations to employees in the system. Supervisors will have two weeks to meet with employees.
- October 2: Supervisor goal to complete evaluation meetings with employees
- October 2: Employees to begin reviewing and approving final evaluations in the system. Employees will have 2 weeks to complete this step, which submits evaluations to Central HR. Acknowledgement does not imply employee agreement or a waive of rights to further discussion.
- October 16: FINAL DEADLINE – Employees must approve & submit evaluations in the system. A performance evaluation is considered “received” by Central HR when the employee selects: “I have received and reviewed my performance evaluation”. That completes the evaluation process.
Within 30 days of receiving performance evaluations, staff employees must have a new performance plan for the coming performance review cycle, 2015-16.
DHRM Policy 1.40 –Performance Planning and Evaluation
ONLINE TOOL REFERENCE
Performance Evaluation Checklist for Supervisors
Performance Evaluation Checklist for Employees
If you have any questions regarding administration of the performance evaluation process or have questions in the course of completing your performance evaluations, please call me at 540-231-3003 or email AprilWood@vt.edu.