The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences seeks nominations of faculty members to receive the 2015 Andy Swiger Land-Grant Award. This award is made possible by an endowment established in honor of former college dean, Andy Swiger. The award includes $2,000, plus an additional $2,000 in operating funds for the winner.
All full- and part-time, regular and restricted appointments, academic year and calendar year faculty with teaching, research, or extension appointments (including Extension agents) in the college are eligible.
A committee of faculty and agribusiness representatives will recommend the winner to the dean. The winner will be selected based on his or her creative accomplishments in research, teaching or extension that contribute to solving practical problems which ultimately enhance production and profit in agriculture. Examples include:
- Bio-energy and value added products
- Environmental stewardship
- Watershed management
- Infectious and vector-borne diseases
- High value and specialty crop products
- Pest management and biology
The nomination letter should be no more than five pages and include all of the following:
- A description of the nominee’s activities which emphasizes his or her creative accomplishments in applied or basic research, teaching and Extension.
- A description of the impact that the nominee has made towards solving practical problems and how this has enhanced production and profit in agriculture.
- A clear identification of the time period and who has been impacted or has benefited from the faculty member’s accomplishments.
- A short summary of the faculty member’s education, experience and responsibilities.
To nominate a recipient, please send an email or letter to Robin Williams in 250 Drillfield Drive, 104 Hutcheson Hall (0402), Blacksburg, Virginia 24061. Nominations are encouraged from colleagues, department heads, staff or members of the community who are familiar with the faculty member’s work. Previous nominees will be considered by the award committee for two additional years, if not selected the first year of consideration, for a total of three years.
All nominations must be received by May 22, 2015. The winner will be announced in July 2015.
Please contact Robin Williams with questions regarding the award or nomination process.