This request was developed to solicit proposals for two distinct purposes:
- Capacity Building Grants: to stimulate basic and translational research, foster agricultural outreach, and to enhance research and Extension activities at the Southwest Virginia, Shenandoah Valley, and Southern Piedmont ARECs. Projects for these grants should begin April 1, 2014.
- Regional Collaborative Grants with North Carolina: To expand the regional collaboration with the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at North Carolina State University. The regional projects can be conducted at facilities located on our off the campus at Virginia Tech or North Carolina State University. Projects for these grants should begin July 1, 2014.
Funding priority for the Capacity Building Grants will be given to proposals that utilize existing or proposed facilities at SWAREC, SPAREC or SVAREC to support research and/or Extension programs in the areas of livestock management and animal nutrition, animal breeding and genetics, field crops, forage and alternative crops, forage and animal relationships, nutrient management, environmental quality, and systems research. Proposals showing the potential for external funding, mission integration, and stakeholder relevance are encouraged.
The Regional Collaborative Grants are not restricted to any particular location at Virginia Tech or North Carolina State University. Priority will be given to those proposals that would address the strategic priorities of the two colleges, strengthen collaboration, and have the potential to be used as seed funds for large external grants. Regional Collaborative Grants must be explicitly linked to an appropriate North Carolina State University partner. An RFP has also been released from North Carolina State University targeting this joint initiative. For the Regional Collaborative Grants, priority will be given to integrated and multidisciplinary proposals.
For the Capacity Building Grants, the maximum size of each grant is expected to be $25,000/year for a maximum period of two years. Based on available funds, we anticipate funding up to eight proposals.
For the Regional Collaborative Grants we expect to fund two proposals with maximum of two years of funding for a total budget up to $200,000 per project.
- Up to $50,000 per year for two years from Virginia Tech
- Up to $50,000 per year for two years from North Carolina State University
- Total funding of up to $100,000 per year for each project