The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences is seeking nominations for the 2013 Andy Swiger Land Grant Award. This award is made possible by an endowment established in honor of former college dean, Andy Swiger. The award includes $2,000, plus an additional $2,000 in operating funds for the winner.
All full- and part-time, regular and restricted appointments, academic year and calendar year faculty with teaching, research, or extension appointments (including Extension agents) in the college are eligible.
A committee of faculty and agribusiness representatives will recommend the winner to the dean. The winner will be selected based on his or her creative accomplishments in research, teaching or extension that contribute to solving practical problems which ultimately enhance production and profit in agriculture. Examples include:
- Bio-energy and value added products
- Environmental Stewardship
- Watershed management
- Infectious and Vector-borne diseases
- High value and specialty crop products
- Pest management and biology
The nomination letter should be no more than five pages long and include all of the following:
- A description of the nominee’s activities which emphasizes his or her creative accomplishments in applied or basic research, teaching, and Extension.
- A description of the impact that the nominee has made towards solving practical problems and how this has enhanced production and profit in agriculture.
- A clear identification of the time period and who has been impacted or has benefited from the faculty member’s accomplishments.
- A short summary of the faculty member’s education, experience, and responsibilities.
To nominate a recipient, please send an e-mail or letter to April Lucas, Human Resources Manager, 120 Hutcheson Hall (0437), Blacksburg, VA 24061. Nominations are encouraged from colleagues, department heads, staff, or members of the community who are familiar with the faculty member’s work. We would like to encourage the renomination of previous nominees.
All nominations must be received by April 30. The winner will be announced in July.
Please contact April Lucas with questions regarding the award or nomination process. To view past award recipients, please visit our award webpage.