Edwin Jones, left, and Saied Mostaghimi
A message from the directors
Today’s world is changing rapidly.
We are facing pressures from a growing population, emerging health threats from new diseases, and challenges of keeping our drinking water safe.
But Virginia Cooperative Extension and the Virginia Agricultural Experiment Station — the two agencies that make up Agency 229 — have been working hard to help Virginia and its citizens overcome those challenges.
The stories in the pages that follow highlight the work we are undertaking in Virginia and around the world. Whether we are preparing students for new opportunities in the workforce, informing farmers of new food safety regulations, providing water testing and education to private water system owners, or helping producers increase their profits through value-added marketing, our mission is to improve the standard of living and quality of life for Virginians.
We encourage you to visit our websites — www.ext.vt.edu and www.vaes.vt.edu — to learn more about our research and programs that are making an impact in communities across Virginia.
Edwin J. Jones
Associate Dean and Director, Virginia Cooperative Extension
Associate Dean and Director, Virginia Agricultural Experiment Station
Administrative Council for Extension and Experiment Station Research
- Thanassis Rikakis, Executive Vice President and Provost
- M. Dwight Shelton Jr., Vice President, Finance, and Chief Financial Officer
- Alan Grant, Dean, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Paul M. Winistorfer, Dean, College of Natural Resources and Environment
- Cyril R. Clarke, Dean, Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine
- Guru Ghosh, Vice President, Outreach and International Affairs
- Theresa Mayer, Vice President, Research and Innovation
- Edwin J. Jones, Associate Dean, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, and Director, Virginia Cooperative Extension
- Saied Mostaghimi, Associate Dean, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, and Director, Virginia Agricultural Experiment Station
- Chris Yianilos, Executive Director, Government Relations
This publication was produced by the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Office of Communications and Marketing (0904)
130 Smyth Hall, 185 Ag Quad Lane, Blacksburg, VA 24061; 540-231-0447.
- Director: Thea Glidden
- Editor: Lori Greiner
- Copy Editor: Bobbi A. Hoffman
- Art Director: Tim Poff
- Designer: Anna Painter
- Writers: Zeke Barlow, Lynn Davis, Lori Greiner, Lindsay Key, Amy Loeffler, Jenna Sudol, and Michael Sutphin
- Photographers: Zeke Barlow, Mark Chorba, Lori Greiner, Amy Loeffler, and University Relations
- Web: Susan Gill